Saturday, August 7, 2010

Last Days in Jinja


The last few days in Jinja have been very hectic. We worked our asses off (I mean our asses off) the last couple of days and we finished the Rafiki House (the caretakers house) even including the solar power! Rafiki means Friends in Swahili - how appropriate is that?

We then had a wonderful feast the last night in Jinja at Julius and Irene's, the current orphanage building. We peeled a hundred pounds of potatoes, I swear we did. Pauline, Bernard's wife, cooked for 10 hours that day! We ate very late that night and it was wonderful.

Then, Friday we were headed to the airport. I can't tell you how sad it was to leave...we all wanted to stay with our new family but knew we had to go. We all got up at 2:30am (Jinja time) and headed to Entebbe. We had some problems - poor Lauren was plagued again with her kidney stones - she was in so much pain. They almost wouldn't let her fly but we got her though (sneaky as it was, more on that later). We were told that we had to fly to Nairobi as there wasn't enough fuel to get us to London! What? Yes, it's true.

We go to Nairobi, an hour flight. On the ground while we fueled for at least 1.5 hours. Then headed to London, a 10 hour flight. We get to London to find out we missed our flight. Yep, it's true. All but Nishtha stayed in London that night. We flew home Saturday AM from London to JFK, not Newark. All travel pickups had to be re-arranged (thank you Ron) - THANK YOU MARK, JIM AND MARIA for picking us up! We got home around 7PM tonight.

Irene, Julius's wife, had her baby 3 weeks early the night we spent in London and Alyssa, Mark's daughter, had her baby at 12:12AM this AM!! Julius and Irene named their new baby boy MARK BERTRAND LWANGA! OMG, many tears over that. Much news to be had when we landed at JFK!!

I wanted to get something posted quickly. We are uploading the rest of the pictures and will update you with more information as soon as we can!!

Check back soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment