Saturday, July 7, 2012

Hi Everyone this is Rosie.  While at Wairaka today, Anabella and I had a conversation with Moses that I felt compelled to share. We spoke about why it is important for people to come to Uganda. Some people believe that it is better to just help Uganda or other countries from home, which is extremely beneficial--selling the women's crafts, raising money, spreading awareness ect, however, physically traveling to Uganda and seeing the place yourself--the women who made the jewelry, the children you are sponsoring, is something so different, something so unexplainable, that you cannot come close to fathoming from home. Moses said that it is important for people to come and see the conditions in Uganda so that "when they go back to America, they will not be as wasteful". We also discussed how we have so much that we take for granted and we cannot do that.
I came to Uganda a year and a half ago, and it honestly took the villagers of Kagoma Gate and Wairaka this year to remind me again of how fortunate we are. Have you ever worn a shirt until it literally fell off of you from being so worn out? Have you ever been playing at your home and ran around a body covered in dirt because you have no money to bury your beloved loved one that passed away? Have you ever watched life slowly leave your child but had no way to save them? These are experiences that I could never imagine but are so common in Kagoma Gate and villages alike in Uganda.
It unfortunately takes experiences like these to be reminded how lucky we are in America. You have probably been told so many times how fortunate we are, I know I have. But how often do we truly reflect on this fact or more importantly act on it? For me personally, Mom and Dad--I know I always take you both for granted much too often and not often enough show how appreciative I am. So, I am writing this blog to remind not only myself but everyone reading this that we must reflect on how fortunate we are and then we must act on it. We must not only think about the people we love, the ones that care for us, the homes we have, and the "things" that get us through the day but take time to show how grateful we are. No one has shown me this better than the villagers of Kagoma Gate, the children and parents of Wairaka, and everyone I have met these past two weeks. I know I will carry their genuine and beautiful smiles with me back home to help me remember how fortunate I am and to never take that for granted.

No comments:

Post a Comment