Thursday, July 5, 2012

This is Katie. Last Thursday was the day I embarked on the most exciting adventure of my life thus far...Uganda! It has been an extraordinary experience. From village to village and school to school I have met countless friends, not to mention the American friends (and one Canadian friend) I have met who are also part of The Giving Circle family.
The people here are so loving and friendly. I am definitely going to miss walking down the street, smiling, and waving to every person I pass by. Although they don't always understand us "mzungus," just as we don't always understand them, the connections I have made are still significant. Soccer, or should I say football, has luckily been a successful means for me to connect with many of the children. The language barrier disappears when soccer is played and everyone has fun!
I am so thankful for being able to go on this trip and for all the people I have met. I have learned so much in this last week. One thing in particular really stuck with me: at the New Victory Primary School, where the Koi Koi kids attend, a quote is written on the front. The quote reads, "What you make for yourself dies with you, but what you do for others is immortal." I will always come back to Uganda to continue to help the people in need. However, what they have taught and given me is far greater than anything I can give them, and for that I am truly grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment